Title: Epic Author: HMC Pairing: Duh. Rated: Prolly R for horror? Disclaimer: I don't own any of these characters. Blah, blah, blah. Notes: The only reason this is called 'Epic' is because I'm planning for this fic to be a fuckin' long one. It'll take me a while to finish, be patient. Summary: Jay and Silent Bob are put to the ultimate test. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ This pain, Bob would not wish on his family's worst enemy. What was he feeling? Separation? Anxiety? Sadness? Something was missing from his soul. Something was missing that left a gap in his psyche. He wasn't Bob without it, he was something less than complete, something void of happiness. What the fuck was going on here? It took some brainpower, but he finally realized his eyes weren't open. He was on his stomach, lying on the floor, dressed in what felt like his every day attire of t-shirt, sweater, shorts, sneakers, trench and backwards baseball cap. The last thing he remembered was laying down to go to sleep, Jay snuggling in his arms, a kiss, an 'I love you' here and there, and then.... this; this pain, this emptiness, and this general confusion. Moaning, he pulled himself to his feet, and opened his eyes, feeling as though he'd been punched straight through the chest. His skin felt like sandpaper, his legs like lead weights. The room he was in was so dark it wouldn't have mattered if his eyes were open or shut, so he felt around the floor with his hands, looking for the man that had been with him before he woke up to.... whatever this was. He became conscious of the fact that wherever he was, Jay was definitely not with him anymore, which spiked his panic level to its peak. "Jay?" No answer. "Jay!" But he was greeted with only silence, and blackness. He hazarded a step forward, arms held out straight, looking for a wall, a door, a window.... anything. He walked forward for a good five minutes, not coming in contact with so much as a pebble on the floor, when he started to tear up, wanting something to make sense. He wanted to know where he was. He wanted to know where Jay was. "Stop right there." Said a familiar voice from the darkness, and Bob obeyed, stopping in his tracks, eyes beginning to hurt from staring into darkness for so long. A single spotlight appeared on the floor, and standing in it, bathed in the artificial light, stood a man, though only in appearance, wearing a white suit, perfectly tailored to his body, topped off with a white fedora, one that obscured his face until he lifted his head to face Bob, the shadows shrinking until they disappeared completely, leaving only sickly pale skin behind. Bob swore he could feel the blood draining out of his face. "Azrael." "Often imitated, but never duplicated. How are you Bob? Are ya feelin' alright? Would you like a glass of water?" He smiled a sugar-sweet smile, one that Bob could see right through. Then suddenly it was gone. The spotlight seemed to follow him as he moved, until he was right in front of Bob. "Why don't you have a *seat*?" A single hand on his chest pushed Bob downwards into a chair that had assimilated right under him. He watched as Azrael paced around him in a slow circle. "No! Don't say it, I know what you're thinking!" He waggled his eyebrows. Then in a voice that sounded uncannily like Bob's, he said, "What's going on here? Where's Jay? I thought I killed you!" In fact, not even his own mother would have been able to tell the difference. He remembered somewhere in the back of his mind that Serendipity had shown the same talent for imitating voices. "To answer those; this is a test, Jay's safe for now, and you did. Kind of. You killed my body, and without that protective shell, my demon form could not sustain life, and therefore was expelled back to hell. Nice how everything works out, huh?" He winked. "What do you think, Quiet Robert? Ready for your test?" "What are you talking about?" Bob forced out through grit teeth. "It speaks!! Lawdy, Lawd! You've read the bible, yes?" He continued before Bob could nod in the affirmative. "The temptation of Christ. Jesus was taken into the desert, secluded from outside contact and encouraged by Satan to re-evaluate his duties as the Son of God. The Bible doesn't do the true story justice. The actual tempting of Christ went on for days. Six to be exact. But it wasn't just temptation. No, more like Lucifer presented Jesus with six reasons to abandon God. On each of the six days, Jesus was shown scenarios and images to try and bring him over to our side. Oh, Lucifer pulled out all the stops, even going so far as to lay a hand on him, left quite a hefty bruise. He was quite a high risk to be taking. Now here's what you might not know." Azrael stopped in front of Bob and leaned down until they were almost touching noses. "Jesus was the only soul to not be brought over. Before him, countless humans caved under the awesome force of his ministrations. They either went insane, or abandoned God, damning themselves to hell." Bob stared, fear gripping him by every nerve. "Now it's your turn, Prophet." He made a wide gesture, and suddenly there was light. Bob blinked, trying to adjust as quickly as possible. When he could focus, his eyes came upon seven doors. Each labeled, all except for the last one. Abandonment. Abuse. Hate. Betrayal. Weakness. Fear. ______ "If you think I'm going to play along with whatever game you're playing, forget it." Bob hissed, his eyes narrow slits. Azrael merely rolled his eyes. "Oh, Robert. I anticipated your resistance." And suddenly sounds filled the air, pained sounds. Jay. Bob could hear Jay crying, shouting, struggling, screaming. There were sounds of fists hitting flesh, rope being pulled tight, cruel laughing in the distance. Bob jumped out of his chair, looking frantically around as if to find where the sound was coming from. "Jay!! Oh, God! Jay!" He couldn't stop tears springing to his eyes as the sounds bombarded him from all sides, driving him insane with the feeling of helplessness. Azrael snapped his fingers and the sounds stopped, leaving only the painful silence. "You bastard!! You said he was safe! What's happening to him??" Bob demanded, hateful tears slipping down his face. "The more you resist these tests, the more your defiance affects the blond bombshell. I suggest you 'play along', unless you'd rather...." "No. Fine. I'll do it. But I don't want him hurt." "Good boy. Follow me." Azrael turned on his heel, leading Bob to the first door. *Abandonment* ....tbc....