Title: Epic Author: HMC Pairing: Duh. Rated: R for mature issues, and for horror coming at the end Disclaimer: I don't own any of these characters. Blah, blah, blah. Notes: I really don't know what denomination Dante is, so I just threw him in this chapter. Summary: Jay and Silent Bob are put to the ultimate test. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Hate When Bob shook off the dizziness that seemed consistent with all these flashbacks, he found himself standing in the street of what appeared to be a quiet, suburban avenue. It was nighttime, but the street was well lit by lampposts every thirty feet. There were trees lining the sidewalks, and the nice, uniformed houses all had yards and little gardens in front. Overall, it looked like a town he would see in the old movies that his mother used to love so much. The only thing that was not consistent with this lovely scene was the shouts and sounds of breaking glass coming from down the street, a few houses away. Straining his eyes, Bob saw some movement and quietly went to investigate, making sure to keep a safe distance. When he remembered it wouldn't matter because they couldn't see him, he began jogging towards the disturbance, his pulse quickening in anticipation. They were teenagers, and there were five of them. From the unsteady way they walked and the smell that seemed to radiate from their general direction, Bob could tell they were all drunk. One stood by a beat-up car, apparently looking out for trouble, like say, the police. Bob figured by the noise they were making that they could be caught at any minute. The other four were wreaking havoc on the small, white house. Two had picked up rocks and were proceeding to smash all the windows they could see. The other two had spray cans.... but Bob couldn't make out the words that were staining the aluminum siding. One of them staggered up to the front door and began beating on it mercilessly. "Hey! Howzabout we put a couple buns in the oven, huh?" His buddies laughed and continued their work destroying the front of the house. "We know you're home, ya fuckin' Jews!" Open up!" He kicked at the door, chipping he paint. Holy shit, Bob thought. Hate crime in action. He prayed those people in the house were safely hidden, or locked in a room where they couldn't be touched until someone called the cops. The lights were off in the house, no movement could be seen inside, probably as an attempt to discourage them or make them think no one was home. Glass continued to shatter, more dents were put in the house, and that damn spray can seemed to never cease. Bob wondered how long this could possibly go on before he heard the screeching of tires from somewhere down the road, and he jerked his head in that direction. The five kids did the same, ceasing their activities for a second. The car lurched to a halt with a sickening wail, leaving multiple black marks on the road behind it. The driver's side door flew open and out burst Dante Hicks, brandishing a baseball bat and one hell of a wild look in his eyes. Bob watched as he took a few threatening steps towards the teenagers. The five punks desecrating the house looked panicked: unsure of whether they should run, stay and overpower him, or just continue with their vandalism. The decision was made when Dante screamed, "I called the cops!" With that, they cursed loudly, tossing a few ugly slurs at Dante and piled into their dingy little car, backing off the lawn and driving unsteadily away. Dante watched them go, not moving until their car was out of sight. It was then that Bob turned his head back to the house to look at the overall damage they had done. In the light of Dante's car's headlights, he could see the blood red spray paint very clearly, and the words that had formed. BURN IN HELL CHRIST-KILLERS And Bob immediately felt sick. Out of the corner of his eye, he could see Dante sprinting towards the front door, calling out for his parents and holding the bat at a ready position in case one of them had managed to get inside. Following, he could see Dante cautiously step over huge pieces of broken glass. "Ma? Dad? Are you okay??" There were shouts from upstairs and Dante's parents came stumbling down, a combination of tears and panic evident on their faces. Mrs. Hicks, a kind woman that Bob had met only once in his life, was in hysterics, cupping Dante's face in her hands and demanding to know if he was okay in a shrill voice. "What the hell happened? From your call I thought you were being murdered!" Dante cried, holding his mother in his arms as she wept. Dante's father, very close to going over the edge himself, related the story, hints of intense rage littered in with his words of pure terror. Bob could only watch the heartbreaking scene from the front doorway. "They threw a brick through the front window, we thought they had the house surrounded, so we ran upstairs with the phone and locked ourselves in the bathroom. They just kept breaking windows and we didn't know if they were in the house or not, but then we heard you yelling, and we couldn't stay in there anymore. But you scared them away, didn't you son?" He pulled Dante into a hug, patting him on the back. "I called the cops on my way over. They should be here any minute." Sure enough, flashing blue and red lights began to flash from outside. Dante took his mother's arm and led them outside to talk. Bob watched and unconsciously moved aside to let them out, hanging his head at the sad scene. As he began to fade away from that place, he could hear the anguished sobs of Dante's mother, "Look what they did to our house!! How could they?? How could they?? We didn't do anything wrong!" Her sobs got quieter and quieter until.... "You're a Star Wars fan, yes?" Azrael's voice was smug. "Wasn't it that little green guy who said that 'hate leads to suffering'?" Bob threw a disgusted glance at him. "That was fucking lame, demon." He spat. "Aren't we past the point of you trying to get on my good side by throwing pop culture in my face?" Azrael put up his hands and raised his eyebrows. "Hey, don't take it out on me! It's not like I had anything to do with what you're seeing." "Then why show it to me at all!!??" Bob screamed, making a move towards Azrael, but thinking better of it. Instead he clenched both his fists and punched the nearest wall, bruising his hands. "Because you're fucking delusional, Prophet!! Helping that Scion bitch and following orders like some kind of blind servant?? Have you even considered what God's done for you?? Nothing!! God lets evil shits run the earth! Those fucking kids that messed up Dante's house, they'll never be punished for what they did! Hooper's father is still alive and well and hitting his wife when he gets angry! And your father never had a second thought about leaving your family to rot in the projects!" Azrael stepped closer, his words hacking away at Bob's mind, pulling at his defenses. "God allows pain. God allows suffering, when the solution and the ability to take care of such problems are at his command!" Azrael motioned to the doors. "Four to go. Or are you willing to abandon God and skip witnessing all this horrific pain?" "Fuck you." Bob spat. He pushed past Azrael and opened the fourth door. Betrayal ....tbc....