Title: Epic Author: HMC Pairing: Duh. Rated: R for mature issues, and for horror coming at the end Disclaimer: I don't own any of these characters. Blah, blah, blah. Notes: This chapter contains the shameful (shameless?) use of the name Schuler Bob. Summary: Jay and Silent Bob are put to the ultimate test. ~~~~~~~~~~~~ Betrayal Someone's living room. It smelled like a home. There was a scent of coffee and laundry detergent wafting through the house, plus the smell of flowers coming from somewhere. They could have been real flowers, or it could have just been really expensive air freshener. Bob couldn't tell. The TV was nice, relatively big, with a VCR sitting next to it. They had a coffee table, with actual coffee mugs on it. Bob had to give a half smile, that the only purpose he'd ever had for a coffee table was to put his feet on it. It was a nice place, a lot fancier then the apartment he shared with Jay. *Jay.... Jay? What is going on?* The sound came drifting from down to hall to him, and he followed, once again recognizing the voice and regretting it. Hearing a crunch under his foot, he looking down and realized that the floor was littered in picture frames that he correctly guessed had been hanging on the walls. They'd all been smashed on the floor. Someone had been very upset.... From the sounds of it, that person still was. He followed the noise into the kitchen, where he found even more destruction. Dishes were all over the floor, in several thousand pieces. The contents of the cupboards had been emptied and strewn about the room. Food had splattered the wall, and the dining table was overturned. Someone had really gone ape shit on this place. And that's when he heard it again. That quiet, sobbing sound coming from behind him. Whirling around, his heart skipped a beat. He recognized the figure causing the sounds of anguish. Bethany Sloan huddled against the wall, curled up on herself with the phone against her ear. She looked like she was trying to talk but was failing miserably. Her ebony black hair had seen better days; now it was knotted and wild, lying in sweaty strands against her skin. Salty tears ran down her face, leaving shiny, yet textured streaks. She shivered, slightly rocking back and forth. Bob resisted the urge to run forward and comfort her. He knew it was impossible anyway. Bethany twitched, somehow giving Bob the impression that someone on the other line was talking now, trying to get Bethany's attention, or at least trying to get her to talk. Bethany shook her head into the phone, searching for the strength to talk, or for the strength to control her tears for just a few moments. "Oh, Mom.... he left, he left, he left.... He's not coming back!" She wailed, sobbing. More words from her mother, and Bethany managed to force her tears down, only letting small gasps out, along with the occasional tear. "He left. He doesn't want me anymore.... Doesn't want a wife that can't have his kids...." She moaned, scrubbing at her eyes with her palms, desperately trying to rid herself of the tears. Bob shoved his hands deep inside his pockets, a grim look on his face. Bethany had never mentioned anything about this to him. Of course, he had known about the divorce, Rufus had mentioned it sometime during that journey that they'd taken way back when. He'd never mentioned the circumstances behind it, though, and Bob hadn't felt the need to ask. After all, it wasn't his business. Hell, it still wasn't his business, yet it was being shoved in his face. Bethany related the story over the phone. "The doctor says it was the infection, it just destroyed my uterus. And, I cried, and I asked the doctors if they could fix it.... I begged them to find a way to fix it.... but it's too late now. And I came home to tell him.... He's gone.... He said he wanted a family, and I could never give him what he wanted. He wanted a baby boy, mom! A baby boy that we could name after his dad! And I can't give him the one thing he wanted! God dammit!" She picked up a plate that was yet to be smashed and fixed that problem by hurling it at the window. Burying her face in her one free hand, she growled a sort of hybrid sob/scream. "I loved him. I thought he loved me." There were a few moments of silence, in which Bob could hear the muffled murmurs of words and a soothing voice from the other end of the phone. Bethany lifted her head, a look of pure scorn appearing on her face. Her eyebrows drew together, putting deep creases in her forehead. Bob unconsciously stepped back, recognizing that look of pure rage. "*What??*" She demanded of her mother, sitting up a little straighter. "How can you say that?" A little quieter. There was an incredulous look on her face that got more and more horrified as the seconds dragged on. "No! I don't care!! Well, fuck you and FUCK GOD!!" She slammed the phone on the floor, banging it repeatedly into the tiles, again and again. She didn't stop until the handset had been smashed into pieces, and only then did she let the broken machine slip from her fingers. She slumped against the wall, utterly miserable now. The corners of her mouth twitched treacherously, pulling her lips down. "How could you? HOW COULD YOU!!!???" She cried, punching the ground with a clenched fist. "How could you do this to me? Why?? Why me?? I did my best! What about what I wanted!? Fuck, I *hate* you!" She leaned her head back, screaming at the ceiling. "I hate you!!" And she collapsed into helpless, bitter sobs that wracked her entire body. The scene faded fairly quickly, Bob noting with a slight disgust that he'd gotten used to the transitions between worlds. "Who do you think she was talking to just then? Who really betrayed her?" Azrael asked. "I don't know." Bob muttered. *just leave me alone, let this be over, go away, I don't want to think right now, I just need to sleep* "I think you do." Silence. *I can't handle this. It's too much, I don't want to see these things anymore* "I could explain that last one, but I happen to know for a fact that you're smarter then you let on. You just think about it real hard. Understand, Schuler Bob?" Bob couldn't find the strength to answer. He just remained standing, facing the next door. Azrael was suddenly behind him, pushing him towards the fated portal. The portal that would no doubt lead him to some scenario of despair.... of pain. A hand on his lower back ushered him towards the door, and he regretfully stepped through. Weakness ....tbc....