Title: February Rain Author: Darth Jayne Grayce Fandom: ViewAskew Pairing: Jay/Silent Bob Series/Sequel: Soul's Core Songfic.. A series of vingettes based on songs from Shawn Mullins's CD Soul's Core. Rating: PG-13 probably Disclaimer: Well, all of my material belongings, and half of my soul, belong to God, and the other half of my soul belongs to Kel. So sueing me is a waste of time, dontcha think? Notes: Song is Shawn Mullins' "And On A Rainy Night". Though I will now apologise to Shawn Mullins for bastardizing his lyrics to fit the m/m nature of this pairing. Bob didn't know when it started, protecting Jay. No, he amended that, he didn't know when he had started protecting Jay from himself. He just figured that it came naturally; after years of taking care of Jay on the streets, it was just a small step to keeping Jay safe at home, too. //February rain, smoky mountain fire/Like a hummingbird to cane, just following desire.// It was common knowledge that Jay hated storms. Given a choice, Bob was known enjoy the sense of wildness and passion that storms brought, especially in the summer. When Jay was on the line, however, there just never seemed to be a choice. This one wasn't as bad as some that they had weathered. There wasn't much in the way of thunder and lightning, just rain. Thrumming, pounding, beating, pouring, sweeping, endless rain. //Watch the firelight throw, shadows cross the room.// There was something wrong with the wiring in their building; shortly after the rain got heavy, they lost power in the apartment. The glow from the lights across the street filtered through the rain, to fall softly on Jay huddled on the couch. Bob calmed Jay, stroking his hair, and rumbling softly. When Jay had calmed somewhat, Bob went to his room and dug carefully under his bed, pulling out a battered milk crate. He rummaged through the contents, extracting several packs of candles. Kicking the crate back under the bed, Bob headed back to the living room, unwrapping the candles as he walked. He placed the candles around the kitchen and living, using whatever came to hand for candleholders. //These streets were bound to cross/Maybe lifetimes ago. /Whenever innocence is lost / We've got a long way to go.// Jay curled against Bob's chest, gripping a handful of his sweatshirt. Bob wrapped his arms around his shaking companion. It was like this every time, Jay panicked and shivering, Bob comforting. Stroking the long blonde hair, murmering nonsense into the soft waves, rocking Jay on his lap, in his arms. //And on a rainy night/Two lovers held each other tight/In the moonlight/He felt so good in his arms.// Morning sun shown through the windows, throwing back the shadows of the storm. "Love you, Lunchbox. You're my security blanket." The End. (Actual lyrics for 'And On A Rainy Night': february rain, smoky mountain fire like a hummingbird to cane just following desire watch the firelight throw shadows cross the room many miles away, not far from cannery row he beats on his guitar and does his little show and all the people say you got balls to play the game this way it's one in a million so he fills all the holes with good wine from mussel shoals and the cencemillian these streets were bound to cross maybe lifetimes ago whenever innocence is lost we got a long way to go we got a long way watch the firelight throw shadows cross the room and on a rainy night two lovers held each other tight in the moonlight he felt so good in her arms )