Title: Florence Author: Jade Pairing: Jay/Florence (OC), J/SB Rating: This part.. eh.. PG-13 for cussing and whatnnot. Archive: Yep. Feedback: jade27_al@yahoo.com Disclaimer: I own nothing.. except Florence. She's mine. Kevin owns everything else. Notes: I think I'll blame Smashmouth for this one. Damn them. This one is Florence first person, listening to Bob first person. Two first person POVs in one! Woo! ------------------------------------------------------- *** "Well. In case no one told you, Jay and I have known each other since we were in pampers. Best friends. We were Jay and Silent Bob. Everyone knew us. Big time dealers. For Leonardo, New Jersey anyway. Dealt at the little convenience store where we met, and at the mall occasionally. "Over the course of, shit, 20 years or so, I fell for him. I mean, you don't hang around someone everyday for that long without ending up with some kind of feelings. But I couldn't tell him. Oh no. Jay is the biggest fucking homophobe I've ever met. So I just let that lead ball sit in my stomach for a few years. Thinking that one day it would just pass, you know? A phase or something. "But it didn't. The longer I let it sit there, the more weight it gained. Finally one night, completely stoned, I told him. I poured it all out, every damn thing. And you know what he did?" "He took off?" I asked. "No, quite the opposite. The bastard just smiled at me, then kissed me, then.. well.. you can figure it out from there. "Anyway, when we woke up the next morning, he remembered everything." "That's when he bolted?" "Bitch, whose story is this? Shut the fuck up and listen. Shit." "Alright! Sorry! Please, continue." He sighed. "No, he didn't leave. We talked about it, and he ended up deciding it was just, you know, something that happened when we were stoned, and it didn't mean anything. "But, it kept happening. Every time. Then, one night, we were both stone cold sober, and.. you know. It happened. And after it was all said I done, I slipped. I told him I loved him. "And before you ask, no, that's not when he bolted either. He just kinda looked at me and said 'You mean it, Lunchbox?'" I could almost hear Bob smiling over the phone. "I nodded, and he smiled, and told me he loved me too. You have no idea how happy that made me. I mean, I'd been dreaming about that moment for years, you know? "So, everything was running more or less smoothly for around a year. I was happy, I *thought* Jay was happy. Life was good. "Then one day we were at the mall. Jay was dancing around, I was standing against the wall watching and getting annoyed at him constantly hitting on women. But when I told him, all he said was 'Shit Lunchbox, you never let me have fun. Fuckin' fag.' "Before I could stop myself, I hauled off and punched him. Not hard, but I can imagine it left a good sized bruise. It was the first time I'd ever laid a hand on Jay in anger. I was absolutely sick to my stomach when it sunk in, I didn't have time to apologize. I had to run to the bathroom to keep from spewing all over the floor in front of the pet store. By the time I'd finished and gotten back, Jay had already left. "I came home, and everything he needed was gone, and there was just a note taped to the fridge. One word. "'Bastard.'" A shaky sigh, followed by a sniffle came over the line. "That's when he left. I never got to apologize. He never called. I tried to get over it, but I couldn't. So, instead of just resenting Jay for leaving without giving my a chance, I started resenting everyone. Especially myself." I just sat there, a cigarette dangling unlit from my lips. "And so here we are. I'm spewing my tragic story of love lost by stupidity to you, his new love. Don't fuck it up. Maybe one of us can be happy." "He's far from happy." I mumbled. "He only thinks he's happy."