Title: Hurts to Cry Author: Kelandris the Mad Fandom: View Askewniverse, general Pairing: Jay / Silent Bob Rating: PG-13 (there's naked stuph, but it's implied only) Status: New Archive: wherever you want, full permission, just lemme know about it. No, I don't believe grabbing it from the list requires a note. :> E-mail address for feedback: kel@crazysheep.net Series/Sequel: Sidewise sequel to Argument and In Repose. Disclaimers: All characters belong to Kevin Smith and the View Askewniverse. If I really get into this, I probably will too. Or at least go into hock when I walk into a video store, go into rut, and buy all the DVDs at once. Notes: This is entirely Taylor's fault, but I don't know if this was exactly what he meant when he listed the song. Summary: Bob finally asks about the scars. Warnings: Language. Naked swimming. That's about it. "Hurts to Cry" by Kelandris "You tell me you're cold on the inside How can the outside world Be a place that your heart can embrace Be good to yourself Because nobody else Has the power to make you happy" Today had been hot enough to melt metal, and even the night simmered. Jay had mentioned that the community pool might be gotten into, with the right tools--a bolt cutter, say--and for once, Silent Bob had agreed. It was too hot to sit in the apartment and swelter; there were only so many windows and so many fans, after all, and nothing helped the heat. Grabbing a bolt cutter--which Jay just happened to have lying around his room--they set off for the pool. Silent Bob had left his trademark trench behind, and was walking towards the community pool wearing just a t-shirt and shorts. He was watching Jay, running ahead of him, throwing his t-shirt off just as he reached the fence. It was quick work to snip through the rusted lock, and Bob enjoyed watching the muscles work and knot in the younger man's back. Then Jay pushed the gate open, and whooping, shucked off shorts and shoes and dove in, pale skin shimmering in the shadowy circles of streetlight. Bob as usual followed at a much more sedate pace, looking around him as he walked. `50's-era public architecture at its most predictable, he thought, looking around at the squat assortment of cement structures and the simple rectangle of the pool, painted a fading white with blue dotted lines along the bottom. He sat down on one of the cracked benches, slowly taking off his shoes, shorts and shirt. Grinning, he watched Jay frolic like an otter, swimming in great laps across the pool, then swimming back to where he sat, splashing water up on the curved lip of the pool. Some of the drops reached Bob's overheated skin, splashing him, and he shuddered at their overwhelming coolness. "How can I help you Please let me try to I can heal the pain That you're feeling inside Whenever you want me You know that I will be Waiting for the day That you say you'll be mine" Sliding into the pool, he leaned back, letting himself fall and get drenched. Before he opened his eyes, he felt Jay's hands on his chest, just resting there as he floated, breathing. Then he felt Jay lean over, kissing his lips softly, and his hands came up, holding Jay in place while he tread water. When he opened his eyes, Jay splashed him, laughing, and swam away. Bob grinned more, swimming after, knowing the young man could swim rings around him. They splashed, they jumped, they yelled, for once disregarding any possibility of capture or discovery. And the universe had felt their sense of sudden lunacy, as it didn't even send a car by on the side street while they played, the water sucking all the heat away from the punishing summer hours. Finally Silent Bob collapsed, panting against the rim of the pool. Jay swam over, hanging his head over the rim as he played with small, warming pools of water that had collected just beyond the pool's lip. Bob was drawn once more to the scars on Jay's back, and sent his fingers wandering over them, exploring. Jay tensed for a moment, then relaxed, sighing. "You wanna know about those?" he asked softly. Bob trailed his hand up to caress the back of Jay's neck, and Jay smiled. "He must have really hurt you To make you say the things that you do He must have really hurt you To make those pretty eyes look so blue" "Some shit in an alley," he said softly. "I'd known him for a while, he was a pretty standard fuck, but intense, you know? Black suits, black glasses, looked like he should be holding a gun all the time. He and I�he was one of my regulars for a while, `bout once a week, it was no big�One day, he wanted me to come back with him behind this strip club, and he whipped it out, and I was down on my knees hearin' him whimper, you know? Doin' my part for my fellow man an' all. Thought that was gonna be it, and I was waiting for him to finish, when he pulled me up, pushed me against the back wall." "He must have known That he could That you'd never leave him Now you can't see my love is good And that I'm not him" Bob felt a shudder pass through Jay, and held his hand on the back of his neck, just looking at the younger man's eyes. Jay laughed shakily, bringing one of his hands up to hold Bob's. A gentle breeze blew, ruffling the leaves on some of the trees surrounding the pool. Sounds in the distance of cars brought the world back to them, and sighing, they left the pool, using their shirts to dry off before getting dressed. Jay shrugged, looking out at the street. "I thought I knew what he wanted. That was somethin' I didn't do back then, you know? I'd blow but fuck if I'd catch. And then I saw this knife, just shining against the wall. He was holding it. He started slicin' me, deep, and making these little humming sounds. I thought, after a while, this wasn't going to go nowhere but downhill, so I kicked him hard and ran out of the alley, laid low for a few months. Took his wallet, too." He smiled at the thought, and Bob just stared at him. "Who needs a lover That can't be a friend Something tells me I'm the one you've been looking for If you ever should see him again Won't you tell him you've found someone who gives you more" Walking home, Bob was lost in his thoughts as Jay danced beside him, humming various snatches of headbanger ballads in the still air. Bobbing his head to Jay's running beat, he paused at the foot of the stairs up to their apartment, putting a quiet hand on Jay's arm. "What?" Everything he wanted to ask built up inside, cascading, falling, finally coming down to just one question. "Why'd you let him cut you?" Jay looked at him for a long moment, then quirked his mouth. "Noonch, dude, that's what he was payin' me for." And he danced up the stairs, opening the door to their apartment, while Bob stood still, riveted to the overheated sidewalk. **That's what he was paying me for.** "Won't you let me in Let this love begin Won't you show me your heart now I'll be good to you I can make this thing true And get to your heart somehow" END (Lyrics are George Michaels' "Heal the Pain")