Title: If Ever I Would Leave You Author: Kelandris the Mad Fandom: View Askewniverse, general (Clerks/Mallrats/Dogma) Pairing: Jay/Silent Bob Rating: PG for language. Angst piece. Status: New Archive: wherever you want, full permission, just lemme know about it. No, I don't believe grabbing it from the list requires a note. :> E-mail address for feedback: kel@crazysheep.net Series/Sequel: Independent. Dunno if I'm going to sequel it or not. Disclaimers: All characters belong to Kevin Smith and the View Askewniverse. If I really get into this, I probably will too. Or at least go into hock when I walk into a video store, go into rut, and buy all the DVDs at once. Notes: Slight little fluff piece about seasonal change. Summary: Bob debates leaving Jay. Warnings: Language. Spoilers for three of the six (counting the one in production) Jay & Silent Bob films. "If Ever I Would Leave You" by Kelandris Spring in Red Bank; birds were singing, cars were honking, buses were still the mode of transportation. It was a steady cycle of home and bus and mall and bus and Quickstop and bus, with the occasional party for diversion. And always, always, the man in the black leather trench thought about the kid in the hat. Silent Bob knew he was obsessed; what he didn't know was how long it was going to go on, or how bad it could get. Better to cut this off now, he thought, as much as the kid needed a place to stay, as much as he liked having him around. Because he liked having him around a little too much, maybe; he'd had to catch himself two times this week alone reaching out for Jay's long, blond hair. And what was it with the insults? If that young idiot called him a tubby bitch one more time, he was going to slap him. He couldn't take being insulted while he wanted so badly to kiss the mouth insulting him. It was bad for the ego. Jay was bad for the ego. Jay was bad for him. He'd made up his mind: he was going to leave. But one day at the Quickstop, Jay told him he was cute as hell. Offered to go down on him. Even got on his knees, which fused Bob's brain a bit. And later, he'd turned on some tunes in the dark of the parking lot, and danced, egging him on, until he finally broke into some steps himself. It had been years since he'd danced. And it was all due to Jay. He couldn't leave. Summer in Red Bank mostly meant sudden decay-someone hit a cat, and the smell would slowly filter down the street, or some kid would drop an ice cream cone or a milkshake, and the heat would make it turn. Heat was bad for Silent Bob's trademark leather trench, too, so they spent a lot of time down at the mall. Air conditioning. Him and Jay. Hanging like they'd never be apart. But man, it was bad this time of year. Being chased by mall guards, chasing mall guards, Jay always getting into something, like the heat was causing a short in his brain. Some days he just wanted to strangle him, or slap some sense into him. Or slap him against a wall and kiss him until Jay figured it out and started kissing him back. Bob had had it. After this last bit-involving some gear that would have made Batman envious-he figured it would be time. Jay was flush, he could move out, and it's not like he had that much to pack. He'd tell him tonight, he thought, made plans, got some extra beer just in case. Then Jay kissed him. It was no big deal, just a little peck on the cheek, but it was fantasy fodder for the next two months, easy. And he couldn't let that go. He had to figure out why. He had to gnaw on it day by day, worry at it until he'd wrung every shred of nuance from what was once a small gesture, until he felt as wilted by his own scurrying thoughts as by the heat. There was no way he could go, then. Fall was unseasonably short, and really didn't start until after he and Jay had planned to bus out to a place that didn't exist. Worse, had never existed, outside of the mind of one man, one man Bob thought darkly about finding and knocking out. And everything went crazy, it seemed, everything started falling from the sky except for the leaves: naked black men, cardinals, nuns, TV reporters...angels. And that was it, last straw time, he had had enough of the craziness, time to get the hell off the Jay-go-round, when Jay asked the man who fell from heaven a question, and the answer was about how often Jay jerked off, and how often he thought about guys while doing it. And he whipped his face over to look at Jay, shocked for days, and Jay said, "Dude, not all the time!" But even some of the time meant- no, he couldn't think about it, he'd break out in a sweat. Even now the thought made him tremble. If he was in there-if he was in the rotation-if he was even in the top 100, he'd take the slot. And stay with Jay. Even if he'd wanted to, he couldn't leave now. And winter brought snow. Who wants to move when it's snowing? Too damn cold. Besides, if Jay got cold enough...maybe at least he'd cuddle. END ****************