Title: Scenario 2: Love Me Not Author: J'Kitty Fandom: Askewniverse, as always Feedback: Read it on the list? FB it there! Read it in the archive? TOO BAD! Oh. Sorry. jabinkle@unity.ncsu.edu Pairing: J/SB Rating: R for language, mentions of romping, but nothing explicit. Disclaimer: Kevin 0wns j00! Will Shetterly owns "Elsewhere" (and its sequel, "Nevernever", great books, read 'em!!) Archive: Sure! Type: Sunburst from "He Went Away" Summary: Jay Sad, Bob Sad Notes: Angst-o-Rama Gate 15A, departing for Montreal will be boarding shortly. Will all passengers on flight 8672 heading for Montreal please make their way to Gate 15A? The disembodied voice echoed through the terminals. Bob reclined sleeply in the chair. His flight still had another hour before boarding, but he had nowhere else to go. He'd been to all the stores in the mini-mall, even purchased a paperback of "Elsewhere", which he'd finished in about an hour and a half. Bob tumbled over to one of the drink stands where he paid three dollars for a damn Mountain Dew, that was only luke warm. It seemed to foreshadow the rest of the day. He was hardly looking forward to the three hour flight with nothing to do. Somehow, he always ended up next to the fuck that fell asleep on him, or wanted to talk about 'where he was from'. Or some international fuck that was amazed by his 'Joisey' accent. With half an hour to go, he saw Jay walking up through the terminal, and his heart sank. Jay had found him. And Jay was angry. The image of Jay storming across the terminal made him think of the classical paintings of Zeus riding across the thunderheads. Only Zeus had never been quite this pissed, he was sure. No words were necessary. Jay's eyes were flinty and cold, and he simply jerked his head in the direction of the cab. Bob simply nodded and trudged towards the door. The ride home was silent. The cab driver looked back and forth between them nervously, the violence was almost tangible. However, as soon as the door on the apartment had closed, Jay was incensed. When back at the apartment, Jay had raged. "What the fuck did you leave for? What the fuck kinda right do you have to leave?" Bob had snapped a little more. "What do you mean what the fuck right do I have? I'm fuckin' free. I'm not your fuckin' pet, and I can leave whenver the fuck I please. Hell, if I was sticking my fuckin' dick into any nasty whore that came near me, maybe you'd be wantin' to fuckin' leave." And for once, Jay had been silent. Bob stormed into his room, and slammed the door. For hours, he stayed there, until the fierce need for food drove him out. Jay wasn't in the apartment. Taped to the fridge was a picture, torn in half. Originally, it had depicted two smiling stoners cheezing into the camera at a local fair. It had been torn in two, deftly, so that each of the people in the picture now stood alone. Bob guessed this was as close to an official break up as he was likely to get. And he knew Jay would immediately act as though nothing had happened. He'd watched it happen with girls before. Jay came home later that night with not one, but two girls. And when they had gone, and Bob lay crying in his bed, Jay silently lay in his bed and cried because he could hear Bob doing the same thing. His insides were killing him. He felt like he needed to throw up, or die, or just cry forever. Fuck if he was getting tangled back into that shit with Bob, though. Bob who had, above all, told him that if he didn't want this, then things could go back to normal. Bob fucking lied. He'd promised that this wouldn't affect their friendship. But as soon as the relationship started, what was Bob doing? Going all jealous and insane, trying to muscle in on every piece of ass he'd been banging. Hell, half the time he hadn't even fucked 'em, just laid there and talked for hours, about everything and nothing, and sometimes Bob. &&& The next few months were queer for them both. They still dealt together. Fuck if the customers knew the difference. Bob was quiet, as he had always been, and Jay was obnoxious, as he had always been. And occasionally Dante or Randal would look at them strangely, as though they knew. But no one said anything. But they both knew. Things were never going to be the same between them again. Jay would party every night. He was never at home. Bob would watch movies and fall asleep on the couch. Jay would come home, and Bob would be dozing fitfully on the couch, tear stains down his face. Or he wouldn't sleep at all, sometimes. There'd been several nights when Bob had simply stared at the TV until the sun came up the next morning. It was clear that Bob was miserable, at least to Jay, but this time he refused to leave. His shame at having run before, coupled with the loyalty he'd always feel to Jay bound him there as surely as any chain. Jay hated it. He couldn't stand being the reason for one human being's intense sufferings. It was like Bob was trying to punish himself. He never went to parties or rented movies. He simply followed Jay during the day, protecting him, and at night, went into mental hibernation. It was a sort of purgatory, and it was a tangible force around him, his suffering. So Jay started avoiding Bob to get out of that stifling, dying air. Months later, everyone was talking. Bob was wasting away, getting smaller and smaller beneath his trenchcoat. His eyes had bags beneath them, and his silence went from one of friendly concern to one of morose suffering. Rumors flew. Bob had taken something bad and had a stint in rehab, Bob's heart had been broken again (just like before with that Amy), people were after Bob, and he couldn't sleep. And these? These cut Jay too, they were accusations as surely as anything else. One night, he finally said, "Look. Why doncha fuckin' leave? Yer miserable." So Bob took off his trench coat, hung it on the peg by the door, and walked away from the apartment. Jay never saw him again. He heard bits and pieces from here and there. Someone had seen Bob in Boston, one had seen him in New York. It was worse than Elvis. Someone had sworn they'd seen Bob in the Quick Stop talking to Dante one day. Jay never had the heart to ask Dante if it were true. At first, the apartment had seemed fresh with Bob gone. The despair of living that had characterized it for so long had gone. But when the despair had gone, all that lingered was the smell of Bob before. Murky and woody, but definitely Bob. And that was a hundred times worse than the despair, because it made Jay dream. And remember. It made him remember the good things, and the times that Bob had stood by him. Even when he didn't deserve being stood by. And what cops, tear gas, women, gangs, angels, and demons couldn't tear apart, he'd torn so simply with just three sentences. He had to find Bob, and quickly. But by this time, the Bob-sightings had trickled down to nearly nothing. After the first few trips to Annapolis, Boston, and the City, Jay began to realize that the world is a very big place, with very many people. And that he as alone in it.