Title: Out of Order Author: Ember Graze Pairing: J/SB (sorta) SB/Amy Warning: Sad angst ahead. Songfic, based on a Duncan Sheik song. And even his happy songs are hauntingly sad. And so, without further audieu, my entry in the queen of angst contest. ~~~ *I hear what you're saying/ I may seem out of order* The first major sign that something was wrong was the thirty minute conversation *Silent* Bob had with Dante. It was still sorta one-sided but Bob had actually spoken. And not only spoken, but questioned. Bob had spent a good half hour prodding Dante about his past relationships. Catlin, Veronica, Julie, all them. 'Which ones did you love?' 'Why did it end?' But he seemed most interested in Catlin. Bob had had to repeat the question a few times in order to even get an answer. "Why'd you keep coming back?" "Because I always hoped there was something more there. Something left. She was my first, emotionally and physically." Dante had said. And after that Bob had once again silenced and returned to his usual stoic state. Leaving Jay to long for the moment hey returned home so that his questioning could begin. *Nothing's quite the same now/ As it ever was before her* "Spill it." Jay calmly said as soon as their apartment door was closed. Bob looked at him for a moment, fiegning confusion, before his face fell. "She came back again." Bob said. *And you're looking at me/ With one of those sideways glances* Jay simply raised an eyerbrow opting to be the silent one for once. "Amy." Bob said, "She came by while you weren't home yesterday and i agreed to meet her for a drink later today." "Isn't that what you want? A chance for closure." "Yeah..but.." "Don't tell me you're falling again. You know how she treats you. 'You treat me that way too.' Bob though sarcasticly. Outwardly, however, he only shrugged. *You think I'm giving up too much/ And taking too many chances* "Bob, this is gonna sound kinda strange, but I can't take it if she breaks your heart again." "Maybe this time it will be different." Bob all but whispered. "Yeah like the last 6 fucking times. It hurts me too ya know. Are you really gonna go see her tomorrow?" Then, Bob looked up at Jay with the saddest eyes he had ever seen and nodded. *But I won't believe ya now/ I've gotta check this out/ And nothing you can say will convince me otherwise/ You're just trying to be a friend/ I know the message is well meant/ But none of it does compare to her eyes* When Bob returned the next day, Jay was on the couch and ready to pounce. He was going to tell Bob what an idiot her was for going back to her and what a moron he was for not being able to see what was right before his eyes. Then he noticed Bob's tears. *Please go easy on me/ I'm feeling out of order/ I'm beaten and I'm wounded/ Like I never was before her* He walked towards Bob in an attempt to offer h a warm hug but Bob only shrugged him off. "I don't deserve your sympathy." Bob explained. "I'm only worried. I know what it's like to have the person you want so close that you can touch them but know that they won't take you. And you stay anyway holding onto that hope that things will change" Jay said. If Bob had been less distraught, he might have noticed that this profound realization came from someone who was in that position right now. *And I know you're talking sense/ But I can't forget about her/ You say I'm good as dead/ If I keep it up much longer* And despite all of Jay's warnings Bob would continue to meet with Amy. For weeks. Weeks that turned into months. And suddenly it seemed almost as if things might have actually changed. And that hurt Jay almost more than seeing Bob's broken heart. *But I won't believe ya now/ I've gotta check this out/ An nothing you can say will convince me otherwise/ You're just trying to be a friend/ I know the message is well meant/ But none of it does compare to her eyes* Until that day in the 3rd month when Bob came home looking more distraught than on the night of their first meeting. After much prodding Jay finally got Bob to talk. "Do you know how many men she's been with in these past 3 months? 16!" Bob said without waiting for an answer, "And what's worse is that I don't mind. As long as I pretend it's not there. I don't hate her for it." *It may be unwise/ You may be right/ But I don't mind/ I just can't mind/ It may be unwise/ You may be right/ But I don't mind/ I just can't mind* And Jay would be there to comfort him, for however long the broken cycle continued. -End I really should see a therapist about this whole angst thing. Or maybe it's just normal. Told ya it was sad.