Title: Shit Has a Half-Life of Ten to Twenty Author: starlastumbleine (starlastumbleine@yahoo.com) Fandom: ViewAskewniverse Pairing: Pre-Jay/Silent Bob-ish Rating: R for language Disclaimer: I do not own Jay or Silent Bob or anything or anyone in the ViewAskewniverse, nor am I profiting from this in any way. It all really belongs to Kevin Smith. Summary: Bob's shit day as lightly inspired by my own. Fuck the police. =================================== Silent Bob's credit record is fucking fantastic. He could always afford the shit he bought, when he bought anything. Silent Bob's old girlfriends either stayed far away or hung around on good terms. His attendance record in school was that of a hall monitor or teacher's pet, always a subject of Jay's ridicule since the day Jay discovered that life continued to happen when children were locked away in brick buildings and Bob had chosen to play it safe and remain ignorant of the fact. According to his relatives, parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles, he was a fucking goddamn saint. And until the day he left highschool with Jay, never to return, he had a spotless criminal record. It was when he entered that dangerous outside world with his more experienced friend the he learned the world suited him quite a bit. Life outside of cash raps, locked doors and surveyed hallways came to him easier than studying hard ever had. It came at one single price. Bob thought of this as he stared at the sterile black ink on his fingers and palms. This was the fourth time his prints had become a matter of public record. All those As. All those certificates of achievement in chem lab. All those chess meet wins. All those fucking bumperstickers for his fucking honor roll. All those posession charges. And this. Big enough to possibly make trafficking. A detective had already made his appearance. He would require names for the charge to be softened. Suppliers. Growers. State. Federal. Jay. Jay, back at home, sweating fucking buckets, fingers turning puss yellow from cigarettes staining his shivering, pale skin. Jay ever since the phone call and how the fuck would they recover that kind of bail money or how long would he last in pen before the roommates might break him or how fast would Ronnie come at them if they dared to name drop.... And Jesus am I glad to see you, Silent Bob breathes at him when he shrugs into view. Their interview box is too small and Jay is too loud for what they really need. This place smells too much like cold, old lasagna for Bob's sanity or health to hold up much longer. He's still in his own clothes, but his jacket is missing and so is Jay, an accessory in himself. Fuck it. A limb. "They set bail. They set bail and I fucking have it." He grabs his bulging jacket pocket, and it only compresses as much as a huge fucking roll of cash will. Well. "What do you want to do?" Jay asks. Ah. The ultimate out. He should have and would have but he never could have taken that money straight to the front office. He's giving Bob the option. He's practically cuffing himself, an offering to the gods of the War On Drugs, completely avalible for rehabilitation. Totally capable of handling the charges, the time, the parole officer. The inevitability of his future status as Shit Smear on Society, lying on his application to Subway, Burger King, the fucking Dollar Store. And Bob thinks that if he could just grab Jay's wrist once more: like they did when they near lost each other in a crowded-ass rave or when he pulled him out of Jon's range as the man screamed and pissed and swung his fists like a motherfucker if he'd ever again know what it was like to stand up for them and walk home together at the end of the night, he might not ever even know his love better than he did right now. Not if Jay staged a firefight and jailbreak right there. Jay's eyes were very desperate and very heartbroken. There was no way this would end well, but it would end better if he didn't take anyone down with him. To Silent Bob, shaking his head sadly, this left only one option. To Jay, this left two options. And he could tell Bob was already jumping to the stupid one and dismissing the one that involved handguns. .end. fic begins: 2:59 a.m. / fic ends at: 3:46 a.m.