Title: Stronger Than Fear Author: Kimmy* (Jay's Baby Kitty) Feedback/E-mail: babykittykimmy13@yahoo.com Summary/Pairing: Disclaimer: I don't own anyone in this...Kevin Smith, Miramax, other various godlike entities own all rights. As an interesting side note, Kevin Smith also has my soul. *smile* Distribution: Ask me first if you wanna. Archive: Go ahead. *smile* However...mention it to me beforehand, please. Author's Note: sorry this took so long! hope you like. Jay continued dialing every number he had found. Many responded the same way as the first airheaded girl, some numbers had been disconnected, hell, some people said they didn't know who the hell Silent Bob was. Considering some of the company he and Bob had kept, however, Jay wasn't too surprised by this. He was getting more frustrated after every failed effort; every person got a little more of Jay's colorful insults and general rudeness. Jay wasn't ready to give up, however...not by a long shot. He'd walk all over Jersey yelling Bob's name down every street until he found him if he had to. Bob's leaving had awakened Jay to a lot of things...particularly to how singlemindedly devoted he could be to a person that he truly loved. So Jay looked down at the book, found the next number, and dialed quickly. "Hello?" "Uh, hi. Is Silent Bob there?" Jay had figured out that it was easier to say Silent Bob the first time than to waste time answering the question "Bob who?". "Yeah, hold on..." Jay's pulse raced. Yes? He had dialed the right place? Bob was about to talk to him? "Hello?" Bob. This was Bob. Bob was on the phone, waiting for Jay to speak. And for the second time in the recent past, Jay couldn't think of a single word to say... "Uh...um..." Jay couldn't think. At all. He heard Bob's breathing over the phone, was panicked by the thought that he would certainly be hanging up in a matter of seconds, and let out a small yelp before hanging up the phone. "WHAT THE *FUCK* DID I JUST DO?!?!?!" Jay screamed at the empty apartment. He could almost hear his words echoing through the quiet. He had just had his chance to talk to Bob, to try and get things right again, and he couldn't think of one fucking word to say? If God existed, he was laughing at him somewhere, Jay just fucking knew it. Hell, if it wasn't his own stupidity, Jay'd be laughing too. As it stood, he was closer to crying than anything else. God, he was such a fucking idiot. 'Okay, Jay...gotta get this right. He's still there, just get your shit together and call back.' "Well, he's gotta know it was me, he'll call back, right?" Jay said this out loud, and in listening to his own words, realized that now wasn't the time to wait on what Bob may or may not do. Especially since he knew that if Bob had been pissed enough to leave in the first place, than he was definitely pissed enough to pretend he didn't know or care that Jay had called. Fuck being tough and shit...some things were just more important than that. And Bob was most definitely one of them. Jay picked up the phone again, pressed redial, and waited. It rang a few more times than before, then he heard the sound of the phone being picked up. "Hello?" Okay, this was Bob...no waiting around, Jay. Talk. "Hey Lunchbox...it's me, Jay." "Oh. Hi, Jay." This was a good sign...hadn't been hung up on yet. "Sorry about before, yanno, when I called a minute ago. I kinda...couldn't think of what I wanted to say." Bob said nothing, just seemed to be waiting on what Jay had come up with this time. "But now I kinda got myself together a little better, and I got some stuff I gotta tell ya." Bob just kept waiting as Jay thought out what exactly he wanted to say. "I'm sorry." Whoa, first big thing right off the bat. Bob was shocked...he figured he'd have to listen to Jay try and weasel his way of having to say it for a while. Bob still didn't say a word. "I'm sorry about being an asshole that day...and a whole lotta other days. I'm sorry I didn't just let you say it...I was fuckin scared, yanno, and I didn't wanna think about that shit. But when I read that note you left, I couldn't help but start to figure everything out." Bob waited. He was settling for nothing less than the biggest thing Jay could admit to him. If he couldn't bring himself to say it...well Bob didn't know what he'd do, but he certainly wouldn't go running back to Jay. Much as he loved Jay, and it'd kill him to leave forever, he had to hear the words. It would be the final proof that Jay was ready for whatever they could have together. "I need ya around, Lunchbox. Even though you haven't been gone that long, it doesn't feel right here. I miss you. And...geez, I don't even know how to say this...never thought I'd have to..." Bob listened more attentively, wondering what Jay was going to say next. "It's like this. I never even let myself believe that it was possible before, but with all this, I've realized something..." Jay paused for a minute, making sure he'd say the right thing. He found that there was really only one thing to say. "I love you." Bob finally spoke. "Jay...are you sure?" He didn't want to ask, but he couldn't be sure that Jay really knew what those words meant to him. "Yeah...I really am. There's never been anybody who cares about me like you do, and you put up with all my shit forever, and you're like, everything I needed and didn't even know it. I love you, Bob." "Jay...I love you too. I'm not too far from home, I'll be there in a couple hours." "Kay, Lunchbox...see you then." "Bye." Jay hung up the phone and let out a sigh of relief. Then he thought about what all this meant, and what he had just said, and how he knew that it was the truest thing he had ever said. And Bob was coming home. And he loved him. And Jay nearly cried, because he knew he'd never been quite so happy before. He had finally really gotten something right. With all Jay's walls broken down, nothing was stronger than love anymore. THE END!