Title: We Danced Anyway Author: J'Kitty Series: Part of the "Dancing" series (extra cookies for those who identify the singers of the song titles. ;) Archive: Sure thing. Rating: Depressingly PG. I tried to make it angsty, it wouldn't go angsty, I tried to make it smutty, and it wouldn't go smutty. So its just kinda the tie up ending. Notes: I give credit for the metaphor "sonic boom" in referring to Jay to whoever deserves it. Not sure where it came from, but it fits quite well! Disclaimer: All belongs to Kevin Smith, until the next time I beat him at poker. Second Notes: Sorry sorry again! This one is weird for some reason. Just doesn't read normally. I'm going to go back and rewrite it eventually. Something isn't right, not sure what. Third (and final) Notes: This story has almost been lost three times. I love Eudora! It saved my story! *fuzzies* ~~~ Morning dawned quitely in Leonardo. The sun peeked quietly over the hills, covering everything in shiny, sparkly bits of light. Bluebirds chirped in the trees, and a quiet breeze blew. It was a bit chilly, but not too cold. It was all very quietly perfect and romantic. Except for one member, of one couple, in one bed, in Leonardo. Bob groaned and tried to cover his eyes. The sun was peeking in through a spot in the blinds, and hitting him directly in the eyes. It was terrible. Given an immediate choice, he would've taken a bullet to his leg and gone back to sleep. But the unrelenting, unforgiving sun gave no such choices. It was also cold. It was primarily cold because Jay had curled up in all the covers in the center of the bed. Bob was barely hanging on to the edge. He was miffed. It was cold and bright and that meant he had to get up. He glanced at the clock. It was two. That meant afternoon. Bob lay in the bed for a moment, mourning sleep and warmth. Finally, he sighed and heaved off the bed. Jay, of course, had not woken. Jay never woke up. He once slept through a fire alarm. Tried to claim it wasn't one. Bob mumbled and rubbed his eyes. Through great effort he managed to start coffee brewing. Two pots later, Bob was feeling more awake. The final pot finished brewing, and he poured some into a deep mug. It had been nearly an hour. Jay had been sleeping for nearly fourteen hours. Bob picked his way through the bedroom. At least the sleeping sonic boom had spread out a bit. "Jay." Bob shook Jay gently. "Jay, wake up. Wakey wakey. Wake up. Come up for some reality. Jay. Jay. Jayjayjay." Jay didn't move. Bob sighed, propped him up, and held the coffee under his nose. Jay was vaguely aware that the back half of his brain was trying to rouse the other halves. It smelled coffee. Mmm. Coffee. Elixir of the gods. The back half poked and prodded the other halves incessantly, until, finally, one woke. Jay's left eye opened. He looked at the mug. He looked at Bob. Moving slowly, he put a hand on either side of the mug, and breathed in the fumes. Mmm. Coffee. Black. He drank it in four big swallows, and it was so warm and nice. Just the thing after a good romp in the covers. Wait. Romp in the covers? He had romped with... Bob? Bob was watching him. Jay realized his right eye was still closed. He opened it blearily. Much better. Now Bob was in focus. And still staring at him. He'd gotten really really drunk last night. Drunk because Bob knew. But Bob said that wasn't what he knew. But Bob had still had a lot of fun in bed with him last night. He could tell. There was a dark spot on his neck, and it still had little teeth imprints around it. So Bob knew that Jay loved him. And he didn't care. Seemed to like it, in fact. Right. So what could Bob know. ~~~ Jay appeared to be deep in thought. Bob was cautious of disturbing him. Didn't want to throw off the delicate process which Jay sometimes required to come to conclusions. "What exactly did you know?" Bob raised an eyebrow. "That you used to deal in the big cities. All that past stuff, and how you went from being a big shot to dealin' here in Leonardo. And how you managed to change all your tastes and stuff." Jay nodded. It seemed logical. "Well. It was cause I loved ya." "But you didn't have to change for me." Jay seemed to consider, "I didn't change, not exactly. I just kinda... specialized a little. I mean, yeah, I liked classical music, but I liked all kinds of music. No sweat off my back. Just a different kinda beat, and more words." "But you used to be able to fight..." "Shit, just that one night in the alley. I was about to piss myself, I was so scared. Them were big dudes. You's always told me that people do crazy stuff when they're cornered." "But, you were lookin' at all the exits..." "Lookin' at the exits? Yeah, I thought I was going to take one of those chicks next to me outside for a lil bump and grind... then I saw you was watchin' me, and decided maybe that wasn't such a good idea..." Bob looked skeptical. Jay rolled his eyes, "Yeah, so's I used to be a big dealer. And yeah, I was pretty tough. So what? You're pretty tough. But I was tough then the same way I'm tough now-- I got lots o' big friends." Bob was starting to see the whole picture now. Jay, the ever adaptive, had adapted to him. But not actually formed new behaviors. "Aw man, yer analyzin' that shit, aincha?" Bob looked innocent. "None o' that silent shit." Bob didn't answer. Jay sighed in deep disgust. "Well damnit, Lunchbox. If you's ain't gonna talk by yerself... I'll just have to make you scream." Suddenly, Bob found himself juggling a coffee mug and a very amorous Jay. Bob leered suggestively, and dumped Jay to the bed. "First, I have to wash dishes." Jay was livid. He shot from the bed like a rocket and headed towards the kitchen. In record time, the place was spic-and-span. Probably cleaner than it had been before they moved in. _Hmm,_ thought Bob, _I can bribe him with sex to keep the place clean..._ "Don't even think about it, tubbs." Jay pounced on him, and dragged him bodily into the bedroom. "You've got a lot to pay me back for. Do you realize how _nasty_ it is to drink gin and Surge?" Before Bob could answer, however, Jay was kissing him again. The world melted pleasantly behind them. And this time, Bob reflected, Jay didn't taste terribly of gin and Surge.